Kemp announces $100M+ to expand Grady’s bed capacity
Wellstar shocked the city weeks ago when it announced Atlanta Medical Center’s closing
ATLANTA, Ga. (CBS46) - Gov. Brian Kemp, along with DeKalb and Fulton county political leaders, announced Thursday a cash infusion of $130 million to expand bed capacity at Grady Memorial Hospital.
The announcement comes after Wellstar Health System announced earlier this month it is closing Atlanta Medical Center, leaving the city with only one Level 1 trauma center, Grady.
Sources told CBS46 the money could also be used for other purposes to help Grady accommodate the thousands of patients who are currently treated at Atlanta Medical Center.
The announcement was made at 10 am. Democrat Stacey Abrams, who is challenging Kemp this fall in his reelection bid, held a virtual news conference one hour before Kemp’s announcement during which she continued her criticism of Kemp’s “disastrous record for Georgian’s health and his inadequate half measures that fail to meaningfully address our broken public health system.”
On Monday, Kemp met with Atlanta Mayor Andre Dickens, along with Thurmond and Pitts.
The payment would come from state-allocated dollars and would help stabilize Grady in light of Atlanta Medical Center’s closure on Nov. 1.
Thurmond would not provide the exact investment amount headed to Grady.
“It is north of $100 million,” Thurmond said. “It’s a significant investment that I think will have a major impact on restoring the safety net that’s been broken.”
Dickens said there is a need to find an additional 250 beds in Atlanta to offset the closure.
Copyright 2022 WGCL. All rights reserved.