1 dead, 5 people injured after ‘dispute’ escalates to shooting in Atlanta
Police are searching for the shooter that left one dead and five people injured in Atlanta
ATLANTA, Ga. (Atlanta News First) - Atlanta police officials have confirmed to Atlanta News First they are investigating a shooting that left one person dead and five others injured near Atlantic Station on Saturday evening.
Police responded to 1371 Market St. after reports of a shooting around 8 p.m.
“A dispute occurred that escalated to gunfire. One male was deceased and several other victims were transported to area hospitals,” said Germain Dearlove, Atlanta Homicide Commander.
“Atlantic Station security has confirmed that the incident occurred on the 17th Street bridge,” officials told Atlanta News First.
According to Dearlove, a group of juveniles was escorted off Atlantic Station property by off-duty Atlanta police officers and Atlantic Station personnel. The group moved off to 17th Street near the Interstate 75 overpass, where officials say a dispute occurred.
The fatal shooting victim is 12 years old, according to officials. Investigators are working to obtain video surveillance.
“We are going to do what we can to keep our city safe,” officials said.
Atlantic Station officials released a statement saying in part:
This is an active investigation. Stay with Atlanta News First for updates as they come into our newsroom.
This latest shooting follows a recent string of violence around the holidays that have residents and shoppers in metro Atlanta on edge.
On Friday evening, police detectives in Atlanta confirmed to Atlanta News First a triple shooting left three people injured in the Gresham Park neighborhood of Atlanta.
According to officials, Morrow police officials say a man was arrested and charged after he made threats to “shoot the place up” at Southlake Mall.
On Thanksgiving, a 17-year-old boy was shot and killed outside a DeKalb County gas station.
Another person was shot and killed in a Thanksgiving shooting in Fulton County.
A father and his young daughter are dead following an apparent murder-suicide in Clayton County.
An investigation is underway after police say a woman was found shot dead in a car in DeKalb County on Saturday afternoon.
If anyone has additional information regarding the shooting, contact crime stoppers.
- UPDATE: No one with gun arrested near Stephenson High School, school on soft lockdown
- Two arrested after Chamblee officer shot in DeKalb County, police say
- KFC employee shot while outside on break, barber shop shot up in NW Atlanta
- Persons of interest sought in shooting on James P. Brawley Drive
- GBI identifies man killed by officer after road rage incident in Atlanta
- Police search for gunman after double shooting in Lithonia neighborhood
- Student dies after being shot near Norcross High School
- Gun possibly fired near Shiloh High School on Friday afternoon
- Deadly overnight shooting under investigation in Athens
- Police: Man shot, injured after ‘an altercation with brother-in-law escalated’
- One injured, one arrested after a shooting in Druid Hills section of Atlanta
- Shooting reported at The Mall at Stonecrest, police say
- Atlanta police to increase patrols after 4 people were shot near AUC library
- ‘Think about your actions,’ family speaks after metro Atlanta man killed on I-285
- Two homicides in metro Atlanta under investigation Thursday afternoon
- Standoff with murder suspect in Clayton County ends with death of suspect, K9
- Suspect named after woman found dead at Gwinnett County construction site
- Shooting investigation underway in southeast Atlanta
- 1 injured in overnight shooting at music studio in northwest Atlanta
Copyright 2022 WANF. All rights reserved.