Faith leaders call for end to youth gun violence in Atlanta
ATLANTA, Ga. (Atlanta News First) - In the wake of the mass shooting in Midtown that left one woman dead and four other women injured on May 3, faith leaders in Atlanta have called for a meeting to offer prevention strategies to end youth violence during the next year, according to a news release.
“Our city is under siege. Our neighborhoods and communities are living under the constant threat of violence! We must restore hope! We have the power to transform our city from a war zone to a safety zone,” said Rev. Darryl Winston.
WATCH THE FULL PRESS CONFERENCE HERE:
On May 3, Atlanta police say 24-year-old Deion Patterson brought a gun into Northside Midtown Medical and fatally shot Amy St. Pierre and injured Lisa Glynn, Georgette Whitlow, Jazzmin Danie, and Alesha Hollinger.
Grady Hospital released an update on Wednesday that two patients had been discharged. Two others remained at the hospital but were no longer in the intensive care unit and were “progressing well.” One of the two survivors believed to still be in the hospital is 25-year-old Jazzmin Daniel.
The Douglasville Police Department has held multiple “Youth Peace Summits” since a shooting at a house party in March left two teenagers dead and seven others injured. According to police, there were more than 100 teenagers in attendance at the party.
RELATED: Ending youth violence by fostering entrepreneurial ambitions of Atlanta teens
According to Atlanta Police, 19 children and teens died from gun violence in 2022. In 2021, 17 children and teens died from gun violence.
RELATED STORIES ON YOUTH GUN VIOLENCE IN METRO ATLANTA:
- 17-year-old injured in shooting at DeKalb County gas station
- ‘It was a gang hit’ 4 suspects in Douglasville house party murder in court
- Parent of teen killed near Sweet 16 party demands justice
- 2 teens dead, 7 injured near Douglasville house party with more than 100 teens
- Douglasville Police host ‘Youth Peace Summit’ in effort to stop violence
- 15-year-old charged in fatal shooting of 16-year-old at LaGrange skate park
- Fulton County officials hold Summer of Peace at Atlanta high school
- 9 juveniles injured in shooting at gas station on Warm Springs Rd. in Columbus
- Metro Atlanta community leaders working to stop youth violence
- ‘It’s the guns’ | Atlanta mayor calls for reforms after latest mass shooting
- Ending youth violence by fostering entrepreneurial ambitions of Atlanta teens
FULL COVERAGE OF MIDTOWN ATLANTA MASS SHOOTING:
- Midtown mass shooter facing multiple charges, victim identified
- ‘None of us are safe’ | America reacts to Atlanta’s latest mass shooting
- Site of Atlanta’s latest mass shooting is a major Midtown medical facility
- Midtown Atlanta’s mass shooting is Georgia’s 10th in 2023
- What we know about the 5 victims of Midtown medical building shooting
- Witnesses speak on deadly Midtown Atlanta shooting
- Who is Deion Patterson, the suspect in midtown Atlanta’s mass shooting?
- Northside Medical Midtown closed Thursday, officials say
- Here is what we know about the deadly Midtown Atlanta shooting
- None of us are safe’ | America reacts to Atlanta’s latest mass shooting
Copyright 2023 WANF. All rights reserved.