Atlanta road closures now in place ahead of possible Donald Trump indictment

Pryor between MLK and Mitchell is closed for next two weeks.
Road closure ahead of Possible Trump indictment
Published: Aug. 3, 2023 at 3:13 PM EDT|Updated: Aug. 7, 2023 at 9:06 AM EDT
Email This Link
Share on Pinterest
Share on LinkedIn

ATLANTA, Ga. (Atlanta News First) - A series of downtown road closures in downtown Atlanta announced last week are now in place, ahead of what are widely expected to be charges coming soon from the Fulton County district attorney’s office investigation into former President Donald Trump.

According to the Fulton County Sheriff’s Office, Pryor Street between MLK Drive and Mitchell Street is now closed to general traffic through Aug. 18. The two right lanes of Pryor Street between MLK and Mitchell will be parking for media, designated by bike racks.

“The courthouse and Fulton County Government Center will still be open to the public, so pedestrian traffic is allowed on Pryor Street,” according to a sheriff’s department statement. “There will be no public parking allowed anywhere on the perimeter of the courthouse on either side of the street. Vehicle traffic will be allowed on Central, MLK, and Mitchell.”

Fulton County Sheriff’s Office Spokesperson Natalie Ammons said courthouse and resident safety are priorities.

“There are thousands of people that come through this area and this footprint and that is the main goal, to keep everyone safe,” Ammons said. “People still have business to conduct with Fulton County, so we want to make it as safe as possible but still accessible to the public.”

Amons said the department is prepared for any large crowds or unrest that could happen.

The Georgia State Patrol also confirmed it is on standby in the event of protests.

“We are working with local agencies, monitoring all intelligence, and will act appropriately,” said Cpt. Michael Burns. “We are a support agency. If they call, we are coming.”

Pryor Street between MLK Drive and Mitchell Street will be closed to general traffic,...
Pryor Street between MLK Drive and Mitchell Street will be closed to general traffic, beginning Monday, August 7, at 5 a.m., through Friday, August 18.(Atlanta News First)

Between now and August 18, Fulton County District Attorney Fani Willis is expected to announce a series of charges stemming from her office’s two-year investigation into alleged attempts by Trump to overturn Georgia’s 2020 election.

Last Thursday, the nation’s 45th president surrendered himself to federal authorities in Washington, D.C. on charges that he attempted to overturn his defeat in the 2020 election.

The early front-runner for the 2024 Republican presidential nomination was processed by law enforcement and entered a not guilty plea before a federal magistrate. He was then released and returned to his campaign trail as he seeks to reclaim the White House in 2024.

The former president may be days away from a formal accusation in Fulton County.

It’s the third criminal case filed against Trump this year, but the first to try to hold him criminally responsible for his efforts to cling to power in the weeks between his election loss and the Capitol attack that stunned the world as it unfolded live on TV. Trump has said he did nothing wrong and has accused special counsel Jack Smith of trying to thwart his chances of returning to the White House in 2024.

A special grand jury with subpoena power was seated in May 2022. In court filings, she alleged “a multi-state, coordinated plan by the Trump campaign to influence the results of the November 2020 election in Georgia and elsewhere,” a contest that eventually saw Joe Biden become the first Democrat to win Georgia since Bill Clinton in 1992.

Trump had zeroed in on the county after he lost Georgia by a slim margin in the November 2020 general election. In phone calls to state election officials and in public comments, Trump made claims of widespread election fraud in Fulton.

Actions he took as he tried to overturn his election loss, including a phone call to Georgia Secretary of State Brad Raffensperger, led Willis to open an ongoing investigation into whether Trump and others illegally meddled in the state’s election.

In a late April letter, Willis warned Labat of “charging decisions” coming this summer in connection with her investigation. In that same letter, she notified Fulton County deputies she will announce charges from her investigation sometime between July 11 and Sept. 1.

On May 2, Willis said she is planning to make a “historical decision” this summer regarding her investigation. Later that month, she sent a letter to the Fulton County Superior Court, in which the DA notified Glanville her office plans to work remotely during the first three weeks of August and asking no trials be scheduled during that time.

“If an indictment came today, we would be ready,” Labat said Tuesday. “We look forward to an opportunity to show the world that we are ready.”

Fulton County law enforcement officials also were present in New York City and Miami when Trump’s other indictments were announced.

ANF+: Attorney explains Trump’s legal woes and possible next steps for former president

Attorney explains what's next for Trump's legal woes

Atlanta News First and Atlanta News First+ provide you with the latest news, headlines and insights as Georgia continues its role at the forefront of the nation’s political scene. Download our Atlanta News First app for the latest political news and information.