Family of man found dead in Fulton County Jail release autopsy results
ATLANTA, Ga. (Atlanta News First) - Family members of a Fulton County inmate found dead inside his cell are demanding change.
Montay Stinson’s family is now backed by an attorney, and spoke about his death and release details about his autopsy during a press conference Tuesday morning.
WATCH THE FULL PRESS CONFERENCE BELOW
Stinson was found dead in his cell late on the night of July 31. The medical examiner report said his cause of death was hypertensive cardiovascular disease. The report also states there was “minor blunt force trauma.” Stinson’s family said the jail staff neglected him.
“Their duty, sworn duty is to not only maintain order but to also care about the safety of every single inmate in there. They failed my brother,” said Kimyotta Stinson, Montay’s sister.
“Leading up to this tragic evening, Montay reported to his family that he was experiencing multiple medical problems that were not being addressed,” said Kenneth Muhammad, the family’s attorney.
The Fulton County Jail has been under scrutiny for some time now. Ten people have died in Fulton County’s custody just this year, prompting an investigation by the U.S. Department of Justice as well as lawsuits by the inmates’ families.
The county just recently approved a multimillion-dollar settlement for the death of Lashawn Thompson, the inmate found covered in bed bug bites.
“It was a mediated settlement, all parties came together to discuss the facts and life expectancy and things of that nature that go into such a decision, and then the final analysis was we agreed on a $4 million settlement,” said Robb Pitts, chairman, Fulton County Board of Commissioners.
This very issue has also prompted commissioners to consider moving hundreds of inmates to both South Georgia and across state lines. They are expected to take up that issue next week.
- ‘Inmates are not props, they’re people’: Moving inmates debate between Fulton County leaders gets heated
- Fulton County considers moving hundreds of inmates after 10th jail death this year
- Commission chairman urging for more Fulton County Jail inmates to be moved to other facilities
- ‘I want answers’ | Family of 10th inmate to die in Fulton County Jail custody speaks
- Fulton County Jail inmate dies 3 days after being found unresponsive, sheriff’s office says
- Family, attorney calling for justice after man found dead at Fulton County Jail days after pleading for help
- Family of man slain in Fulton County jail: ‘He didn’t deserve that’
- Inmate stabbed to death at Fulton County Jail identified
- ‘They’re hurting me in here’: Athens man dies inside Fulton County Jail just days after pleading for help
- Fulton County Jail inmate resuscitated before dying, sheriff’s office says
- Inmate dies at Fulton County Jail, sheriff says
- Dept. of Justice investigating living conditions, use of force and other issues at Fulton County Jail
- Family of inmate found dead in Fulton County jail cell speaks out
- Fulton Commissioner: $1M study reveals Fulton County needs new jail
- Fulton moves 600 inmates to other counties to relieve overcrowding at jail
- Family wants answers after man ‘eaten alive’ by bed bugs in county jail, attorney says
- ‘Culpability all around’ Sheriff on resignations, changes related to inmate death
- Fulton County Sheriff’s Office addresses jail infestation, inmate death
Copyright 2023 WANF. All rights reserved.