Man facing death penalty for 2016 Henry County quadruple murder found not guilty
ATLANTA, Ga. (Atlanta News First) - A verdict was reached Monday morning for a man standing trial in a quadruple murder case in Henry County.
Matthew Baker, who was standing trial after being accused of killing four people in 2016, was found not guilty. Baker was facing the death penalty if convicted.
The four victims — Destiny Olinger, Keith Gibson, Sophia Bullard and Matthew Hicks — were shot and killed at a Henry County farmhouse during a bonfire, police said. Baker, then 19, was one of a handful of people arrested in connection to the crime.
PREVIOUS COVERAGE: Trial underway for man accused in 2016 Henry County quadruple murder case
Jacob Kosky confessed to the murders and is serving life in prison. But Baker, who was with him, was held as an accessory to the crime.
In 2021, Baker was hit with a 30-count indictment, including several counts of malice murder, felony murder, first-degree burglary, aggravated assault and more.
Angie Lanier, Baker’s mother, told Atlanta News First last week that his family and friends believe he is innocent.
“I’m praying in the courtroom, praying for the victims’ families, praying for Kosky, I’m just praying for everybody,” Lanier said. “I’m fighting for my child, and I told them that I will fight until I have my last breath.”
On Monday, Lanier said this was the moment she has been waiting for the last seven years.
Atlanta News First was there when Baker was released from the Henry County Jail.
“God – man, that’s the only reason I’m here today talking to y’all,” he said. “I stayed so positive because of God and my supporters around me.”
Copyright 2024 WANF. All rights reserved.







